Monday, April 24, 2023

Ready...set...wait

Hello Everyone - it's been some time since I updated, so here is the news from Arusha. Seminary classes were due to start this morning (4/24), but I am finding out that both the clocks and calendars in Africa run a bit differently than they do in the U.S. Students are actually traveling today, with most of them arriving this evening, so the big start of the semester at the Wittenberg Seminary should actually happen tomorrow. In the meantime, there have been many matters of practical preparation, in addition to getting ready for seminary classes:

  • With Pastor Jeremia's help I have been arranging for the rental of a home about 3 miles from the seminary. It is a lovely and secure place, and fully furnished. The friendly Tanzanian owners are relocating to North Carolina. We are planning to complete the arrangements on Wednesday. The owners depart for the U.S. on May 25, so I can occupy the home on June 1. I'll post a few pictures when the deal is done. Meanwhile I'll continue my stay at the "Christina House" lodge. Here I am at my front door with my current mode of transportation:

Still in the future is the possible purchase of a car. I'm getting along fine so far on foot and bicycle, and with occasional rides.
  • We have weekly worship at the Ambureni Parish, which is the church attached to the seminary. Seminary student Marco preached a sermon last week on the Lord's Prayer. He did a fine job:

  • Yesterday I was invited to preach for the service. The sermon was on the risen Christ and His discussion with Peter over breakfast at the Sea of Galilee. You can see an English summary of the sermon HERE. Pastor Jeremia translated into Swahili as I preached. After the service we handed out a printed sermon summary, as translated into Swahili by Microsoft Word, which you can see HERE. The church members really appreciated that. Also present at each service are the "Germans," mother Tanya, daughter Mila, and grandmother Uma. They have been regulars since moving here and befriending Jeremia's family two years ago. It was an easy matter to give them a German version to follow during the service, HERE

  • Technology has its limits, but is very useful at times! Another example: I am able to use "Google Lens" on my phone to point the camera at the Swahili hymnal, and have it instantly show me an English translation. It's not quite the miracle at Pentecost, but it sure helps!
  • Each week after church I am invited to Jeremia's home to enjoy dinner with his extended family and the Germans. There are always quite a few energetic kids around. I asked them if they would like to have Sunday school, and they said "Yes, yes, YES!" So we plan to have a lesson there next Sunday afternoon. We hope to make that a regular thing at Ambureni parish after that, which will be prior to the 11 am worship service.

  • I have also started an impromptu Bible class here at the Christina House, which has met a few times with an attendance so far of six. We'll have to figure out a regular time to meet, once the seminary schedule is established.

  • I am in regular contact with Paula and the rest of my family with free audio and video calls over the Internet - what a great blessing. Paula is still at the Messiah parsonage, and has other Eau Claire accommodations ready to go when that home will be needed for a new pastor and his family. She has a few weeks yet with her teaching duties at UW-EC. I'll be home during July, then both Paula and I will come to Arusha early in August, God willing.
Please pray for the successful start of the seminary classes, the Sunday school and Bible study, and for all our fellow believers here in Tanzania. Also please remember to our Lord the many other mission fields and their people, as well as Missionary Ohlmann and Pastor Rob Sauers. They are now visiting our contacts in the Philippines. Missionary Ohlmann's latest blog post on this is HERE. God be with you all!



No comments:

Post a Comment

"He shall give His angels charge over you...

...to keep you in all your ways. In their hands they shall bear you up, Lest you dash your foot against a stone."  Psalm 91:11 Paula Na...